Friday, February 10, 2012

Introductions

The air I breathe is heavy with smoke from the wood-burning cooking fires of a rural village in Guatemala. I had spent the morning doing arts and crafts with young children in the surrounding area. Dressed in little more than ripped shirts, their unwavering smiles radiated past the dirt on their skin, clothing, and the once-white walls. Their sanguinity despite their living situation was contagious. But in this moment, I witness a different kind of hope. An elderly woman dressed in traditional garb hobbles into the local health clinic where I have been working. I greet her and the woman tells me about her ailments. As I listen intently to her Tzutujil-accented Spanish, she shares that she is 94 years old and lives alone – her husband and all four of her sons had been killed in the civil war. A look of relief takes over as she thanks me for coming to her village and she thanks God for sending us. Even though her life is hard, her faith in the forces greater than us sustains her. Her hidden strength amazes me and I realize that when faced with hardship, we must grasp onto what we have left and recognize that it is alright to acknowledge life’s difficulties and ask for help.

My name is Ginny; I am a freshman from Princeton, New Jersey. In high school, I went on a trip to provide aid to mudslide refugees in Guatemala, where I saw first-hand the needs that public health serves – a demand that is insatiable. Also, as an EMT and volunteer in a New Jersey health clinic, I realized how many health issues can be prevented, and how much needs to be addressed in health care. This turned my eye toward the field of Public Health. I am particularly interested in global environmental health, especially water quality’s effect and the complex issues surrounding water rights (privatization vs. public access).

Public health is a dynamic field that is constantly updated and continually progressive, focusing on optimizing the quality of life of individuals and populations. The field incorporates both treatment and prevention -- in doing this, it is interdisciplinary. It combines social science, politics, and humanities, and allows for the cultivation of both scientific and personal creativity.

The first two classes were helpful in providing definitions for health and policy, and offered excellent background as we delve into more specific topics. Something I found particularly interesting was the lesson on epidemiology and how the field came about by “father of epidemiology” John Snow during a cholera outbreak. I had heard of the field but had not learned of the detailed procedures that it involves. This topic is intriguing because it is highly relatable, for news of outbreaks pervade everyday life. Various past biological threats such as the swine flu, anthrax, food-borne illness hit close to home, while we hear of many severe outbreaks in other world regions. I am taking Introduction to Public Health to learn more about the field (for its broadness can be overwhelming) and hopefully find my niche. So far the possibilities seem endless!

4 comments:

  1. Ginny, I really liked your opening description of your trip to Guatemala, I felt like I was there too. I also had a similar experience to spark my interest in public health, as I went on three service trips in high school to the Dominican Republic, Ecuador and Peru. I think it's interesting and admirable that you already know which aspect of public health you are interested in. As you mentioned, it is such a large field that the possibilities are really endless so maybe you will find even more aspects you find interesting after taking this class! I definitely agree with you that epidemiology is more interesting than it might seem. I also did not know about all of the procedures it involves. I am excited to read more of your blog posts throughout this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny, your blog opening was really engaging I can truly see that you have a burning passion to help our world. Your vivid recollection of your guatemala trip was truly inspirational. I hope to one day see your image re evaluated and turned into a positive one. Its also great that your mind is already set on the field of PH you look to entertain. looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginny, are you planning on being an English major? I enjoyed reading your literary opening paragraph. :) I completely agree that public health has a progressive component, but some of its basic tenets have withstood the test of time. Also, the multidisciplinary nature of public health is very important--which is why I chose to major in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs while an undergrad at Princeton. (As a part of the requirement for the WWS major, we had to take classes in history, economics, politics, psychology, and sociology in addition to WWS courses). My initial interest in public health stemmed from my desire to combine one-on-one medical care as a physician with population-based care that can effect large-scale changes--especially as it relates to preventive measures. That same interest led me to pursue my MPH and preventive medicine training at Bloomberg. We all have so much to learn in this vast field, and I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to share in the next few weeks as you reflect on what you learn through the course.

    ReplyDelete